viernes, 18 de julio de 2008

Mexicooooo!


Hello from our southern neighbor (for most readers, anyway)! I´m in Mexico City, arrived Wednesday morning from Guatemala City... Wednesday was mostly spent attemping to recover the energy lost from a 4:30 am wakeup to catch my flight, thus napping, reading, and chatting were the orders of the day. Luckily with all that chatting I met a new travel friend, Flo, a Frenchman here to study for a year but who only arrived a day before I did. He and I and another Frenchman, Charles, spent yesterday in the histoic district where the Palacio Nacional and main Catedral are located. We got to see the biggest Mexican flag that probably exists, flying high in the center of the largest (supposedly) plaza in the world after the one in Moscow, or some such nonsense. Also, after some careful negotiating with the armed guards at the palace, we were let in despite the fact that two of us had no form of ID on us, and we got to see Diego Rivera´s famed mural on the inner staircase, depicting the history of the Mexican people for the past 1000 years or so. Quite impressive, to say the least!

The rest of the day was spent wandering, eating (of course. A brief rundown of the most delicious foods of the day: pastries from Pasteleria Madrid, including some buttery goodness, chocolatey orangey heaven, peanut buttery delight, and nutty sweetness; also, fresh-squeezed juices at Liquidora Canada (I have zero explanation for the second half of the name)). I wish I could post photos right now, as of course I took pictures of the food!

Today I am supposed to meet up with a friend from grad school who lives here, Jose, in the southern part of the city, where I hope to see some museums and visit Frida Kahlo´s house! fun fun fun in the sun sun sun (hopefully).

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: sólo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.